May 22, 2019. UFE Gains and Initiatives Since 2006. As we completed our 2019 contract re-opener, it was good to look back at our collective union efforts over time. Given the challenges facing Evergreen, we have sought to “pitch in” and continue to support the mission of the College, while addressing the working conditions of the faculty and the learning conditions of the students. Here are some of our gains and efforts during the past 13 years:
- 3% wage increase for all faculty in 2020-21;
- 3% wage increase for all faculty in 2019-20;
- 2% wage increase for all faculty in 2017-19;
- 3% wage increase for all faculty in 2016-17;
- 3% wage increase for all faculty in 2015-16;
- 5.5% wage increase for all faculty in 2013-14;
- 12.5% wage increase for all faculty in 2008-10, plus additional pay increases for adjunct faculty;
- Paths of Study & Curriculum Area Team (CAT) co-authors, planning & implementation w/TESC admin, 2018-2021; negotiated CAT leader paid release time;
- Bargain and administer the 2018-21 CBA through contract negotiations and ongoing labor/management meetings;
- Strong grievance procedure, including due process rights for all faculty members;
- Revisions to the waiver policy regarding teaching partners and lower division teaching commitments;
- Protection of sabbatical lines;
- Protection of post-retirement contracts;
- Restoration of summer institute funding beginning in 2015 through 2021;
- Expansion of parental leave to include all parents, regardless of gender;
- Expansion of medical leave for adjunct faculty;
- Increased job security for adjuncts through the establishment of multi-year contracts;
- Hiring process/eligibility for 10 long-term adjuncts to tenure-track, ½-time EWS faculty from 2016-2020;
- Opportunity for further transition of long-term EWS adjunct faculty in 2017-18;
- One-time conversion of 4 long-time adjunct faculty members to regular status in 2008;
- Creation of The UFE Memorial Fund, in honor of our founding UFE faculty members, Jose Gomez and Zahid Shariff;
- Expansion of the UFE Solidarity Scholarship Fund: $12,000-$8000 awards available beginning 2018-19. In 2019-20, the UFE awarded 12 scholarships @ $1000 per student (including eligibility for DACA & undocumented students);
- Ongoing support of community and education partnerships through the UFE Solidarity Fund;
- Creation of a UFE Political Endorsement Protocol & Application, 2019. See: UFE Endorsement Application-Final.
Dec. 5, 2018. Inaccurate Blogs. Several websites have posted incorrect information about the faculty union at The Evergreen State College. The United Faculty of Evergreen did not take a position for or against the resolution concerning the word “covenant” at a fall faculty meeting, nor did it call for a vote. The union is not involved in this issue. It is a subject before the faculty meeting (AC), which is Evergreen’s forum for academic matters. Proposed changes to the Faculty Handbook are reviewed and discussed at the faculty meeting and approved through procedures outlined in the Faculty Handbook.
June 14, 2018. The 2018-21 CBA is Ratified by the UFE! The UFE membership and the Board of Trustees (BOT) ratified the 2018-2021 Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the UFE bylaws, agreements are ratified by a majority of those members voting. To see the voting results, click here.
June 8, 2018. Greetings UFE Members. We have a Tentative Agreement! The digest (summary) outlining the major changes to the CBA, as well as the full CBA can be found at: https://www.ufevergreen.org/2018-ta-docs/
We sent out an email Thursday as a written notice of the ratification meeting. In accordance with our UFE bylaws, “A seventy-two (72) hour written notice of the ratification meeting is required. The notice shall specify the date, time, place and purpose of the meeting.”
NOTICE: UFE Ratification Meeting; 4:30-5:30 Monday June 11; Location COM 308.
Please note that the COM building doors close at 5pm during eval week.
The purpose of the meeting is to present the Tentative Agreement to the membership for discussion and review in advance of the ratification vote. We realize this is a very difficult time to carve out time for this discussion. We concluded bargaining at noon today and both the UFE and TESC Administration are committed to getting this bargain wrapped up before the end of the quarter.
UFE voting for ratification will take place after the ratification meeting: Monday after 5:30, Tuesday June 12, Wednesday June 13 (stay tuned for further information about voting procedures). The Board of Trustees will consider and vote on ratification at their meeting on Thursday.