As of Fall 2020, the UFE represents all 188 faculty members in the bargaining unit (adjunct and regular faculty teaching 8 credits or more per academic year). Please note that the number of faculty on contract varies any given quarter depending on adjunct contracts, post-retirement contracts, faculty buy-outs and faculty on leave.
United Faculty of Evergreen Membership Stats (as of August 19, 2020):
- Regular/Continuing Faculty members (92) make up about 83% of UFE membership;
- Adjunct Faculty members (19) make up 17% of UFE membership;
- 59% of all faculty (111) are union members.
Evergreen’s faculty union joins our sister unions at Eastern, Central, and Western in our statewide organization, United Faculty of Washington State, representing over 2,200 higher ed faculty. We are part of the labor movement, in this state and nationally – and we are proud to be affiliated with the the following:
- Washington Education Association, with 85,000 members statewide
- AFT Washington, AFL-CIO – a state federation affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO with about 6,500 members including faculty and professional staff from community and technical colleges
- Washington State Labor Council includes more than 600 union locals and councils representing approximately 400,000 rank-and-file union members throughout the State of Washington.
- National Education Association
- American Federation of Teachers
UFE STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The purpose of the UFE is to represent all eligible faculty members in bargaining, grievances, and in all matters relating to terms and conditions of employment with The Evergreen State College, to protect and enhance Evergreen’s unique traditions that have earned it prominence among the nation’s public colleges and liberal arts colleges, to encourage mutual understanding and cooperation among union members, to engage in legislative, political, civic, welfare and other actions which further the interests of the membership, public education and the labor movement; and to bring about a world where justice and equality are a reality, not just empty words. The UFE is affiliated with United Faculty of Washington State, Washington Education Association, National Education Association, AFT Washington, American Federation of Teachers, the American Federation of Labor/Congress of Industrial Organizations and the Washington State Labor Council.
UFE Budgets 2014-16
Annual budget meetings with our membership are held during the fall quarter. During this meeting, we review our expenditures, discuss and vote on our upcoming budget, and consider future budget priorities in relation to the UFE statement of purpose, as well as priorities relevant to national and state higher education affiliates (NEA and the WEA). See our UFE budgets for the 2014-16 academic years attached below.